OMG That’s Some Funky Sh*t! New Interactive Installation Up At Shure.
The Iona Group recently launched a multi-screen 1080P installation at The S.N. Shure Inc. headquarters. Shure is the world’s leading manufacturer of microphones. They make great equipment. They have for decades. Their name is synonymous with quality, integrity and audio history. We were contracted by them to create a media experience for their new theater at the headquarters (which happens to be an architectural masterpiece, by the way). Some details on the theater can be found here. Some highlights:
- Meyer Loudspeakers: CQ1 (mains), HP700 Sub-Woofer and UPJ Surround
- a Dolby Lake Loudspeaker Processor
- a custom-built, 200-inch diagonal Stewart projection screen
- a 20,000 lumen Digital Projection Model 40-1080p projector
- a dual input windowing processor allowing multiple images on screen
- a custom demonstration cart and lectern, featuring Shure MX412 microphones and a Crestron control system for the lighting and other audio visual systems
- Shure UHF-R® wireless systems
- a Yamaha LS9 digital mixing console.
Beyond that, the space has some great aesthetic characteristics… check this out:
- A single, large English Sycamore tree was sourced from the Black Forest in Germany to produce the 11-foot lengths needed for this project. This one tree was used for ALL veneered surfaces inside the theater (approximately 23,000 square feet), which were all laid by hand.
- The ceiling incorporates both absorptive and non-absorptive surfaces and consists of multiple layers of drywall and insulation. A stretch fabric system was used to cover these surfaces and create a uniform, clean appearance. Microphone drop points are integrated into the ceiling.
- To reduce fan noise from the building’s HVAC system, the exterior walls surrounding the theater consist of multiple layers of drywall, and acoustical and rigid insulation. An under floor air distribution system also was installed under the theater seating.
- Temperature and humidity in the room are maintained independent of the building’s system. In addition, all interior surfaces (floor, walls, and ceiling) incorporate a continuous vapor barrier to ensure that the wood is kept within acceptable humidification ranges at all times, which will prevent it from constricting and contracting.
- The theater seating was manufactured by Poltrona Frau in Tolentino, Italy. Each piece, which was individually constructed by hand, comes equipped with a flip up work surface for taking notes.
- A Steinway B, 7-foot Concert Grand Piano, which will be stored in its own humidity-controlled alcove.
- The back stage area of the theater includes a Green Room with a 40” LCD display, a restroom, and an elevator.
- A motorized theatrical curtain is available for further control of onstage acoustics for amplified events.
So, that all said… What did we do? Our fantastic creative team came up with an amazing idea. 3 52″ touchscreens lined to create a seamless multi-screen presentation. We developed a multi-user synced experience using the Red5 server and Flash Player. Live spectrum analysis. Triggered by motion detection via Flash Camera activity. Decades of historical photos. Narration by the great Bill Curtis. Video Interviews from dozens of employees. All in all, a great project. Amazing.
The space is gorgeous. The software is cool! The content, historic! Take a look at the install…
What a cool project to be part of. The creative team was fantastic. The development process was a ton of fun. The industrial design is tight and the client is top notch. So fun!